Air conditioners are crucial to your comfort in hot weather. However, they can be plagued by various issues and problems if not properly maintained. If you are facing any problems and need assistance in air conditioner operation, give us a call, as Alief Heating & Air Conditioning is a leading HVAC contractor in Houston, TX, and surrounding areas.
Common Causes of Air Conditioner Problems and How to Prevent Them
- Dirty air filters: Dirty air filters can restrict air flow, making your air conditioner work harder to circulate air. This can lead to decreased efficiency, higher energy bills, and equipment failure. Changing or cleaning your air filters every 1-3 months, depending on usage and the environment, is recommended to prevent this problem.
- Lack of maintenance: Skipping annual check-ups can lead to minor problems becoming more significant and expensive. Regular maintenance helps to identify and fix minor issues before they become significant problems, extending the life of your air conditioner. Inspecting and cleaning your air conditioner annually is recommended to ensure it is functioning at its best.
- Refrigerant leaks: Leaks in the refrigerant line can cause the air conditioner to lose its cooling power, making it less efficient. In addition, refrigerants are harmful to the environment and can be dangerous if mishandled. To prevent this, it is essential to have any refrigerant leaks repaired by our professional as soon as they are detected.
- Clogged condensate drain: The condensate drain is responsible for removing excess moisture from the air conditioner. If the drain becomes clogged with dirt, debris, or algae, water can come back into the unit, causing damage and creating a breeding ground for mold and mildew. It is essential to regularly check and clean the condensate drain to prevent this.
- Electrical issues: Electrical problems, such as faulty wiring or a tripped circuit breaker, can cause the air conditioner to stop working or malfunction. To prevent this, it is essential to inspect your electrical system to ensure everything is working correctly.
- Thermostat problems: A faulty thermostat can cause the air conditioner to stop working or not function properly. This can result in the air conditioner either running continuously or not running at all. To prevent this, it is recommended to inspect your thermostat regularly to ensure it is functioning correctly.
- Dirty coils: Dirty coils can reduce airflow and cause the air conditioner to work harder, leading to decreased efficiency and higher energy bills. To prevent this, it is essential to clean the coils regularly to maintain efficiency.
Preventing these problems can help ensure your air conditioner runs smoothly and efficiently. If you need assistance with your air conditioner, contact us today. We also offer the most reliable HVAC repair in Houston and surrounding areas.